Saturday, February 3, 2018

The Challenging "Wave"


I did it!

It may not be such a big deal for some but for me who likes to work small it's working way out of my comfort zone. I like to work meticulously but over a small surface and the time it takes is calculated. I'm used to spending about 2 hours carving. The wave took me about 4 hours, definitely double the norm. 

It was hard to determine where to start and pick up from there. Eventually I picked a spot and went for it. It took a long time to cover a space. I felt rushed when there was no need to be rushed, I had plenty of time to play. Perhaps I'm not comfortable spending too much time on one thing. Rushing through something that can't be corrected is not a good thing. I don't know if I should continue this direction or not. Or should I go to something a little smaller and work my way up from there. 

I am, overall, happy with the result. This drawing/carving was based off a photograph I found in a surfing magazine. It drew me in immediately. The force, energy, beauty of the wave that captured me. The idea solitude on the wave came to mind. I'm not a surfer but I can appreciate the experience of it. I'm a snowboarder and have been for many years and can relate to the feeling of zen, being at peace with the mountain/ocean. It's just you. You don't have a team to carry you it's just you doing it alone. I love that feeling. It's why I love mt.biking as well. It's just you and no one else challenging you.




 



No comments:

Post a Comment

"Maudie," a delightful movie about the folk artist Maudie Lewis

Maudie Don't you love to pick out movies you have no idea what they're about and you end up loving it completely! This is on...